Thursday, October 18, 2007

A few last notes before break...

  • I forgot to mention something about last Saturday. Rick and I went to the Tate, the museum of modern art in London. Now, modern art is not really my thing, but it was free, so I figured I would give it a go. There has been a lot of hype about the museum's latest exhibit. It is a giant crack in the museum floor, supposedly representing the racial divide in society or something like that. The hype has not necessarily come from the crack itself, but because three people have apparently fallen in it. We walked into the exhibit hall and I was expecting something six feet deep, something worth falling in to. No. At its deepest, it was maybe two feet deep. By "fall in" they must have meant "tripped over" or "got a leg stuck in." Now, as I said, modern art doesn't really do it for me, and the crack was no different. Honestly, I could have done the same thing with a jack hammer on the street. The best part about it was the little kids who were going up to it, looking at it very curiously, and then climbing in.
  • On Monday, we got to go to Parliament for my public relations class. I had been in the building before, but this time we got to go and sit in on the House of Lords (like the Senate) and on a special committee meeting in the single-market directives of the European Union. It was really interesting, and I found out we can go back whenever we want. Some time I want to go and sit in the House of Commons (like the House of Representatives). Their debates get pretty heated.
  • Yay for internet! While we still don't have internet in our flat, a fellow student informed me that a coffee shop about 500 feet outside my door has free wireless! Currently, I am sipping a cinnamon latte and listening to an odd compilation of Bruce Springsteen covers and Christmas music. Their drinks are much cheaper than Starbucks, who also charge 5 pounds an hour ($10) to use their internet.
  • So tomorrow starts our trip for fall break. We head to York by train, spend the day, take a train to Edinburgh for a few days, take a ferry to Amsterdam and then ferry back to Newcastle and train back to London. I'm excited to get out of the city for a while. I'll talk to you in a week!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday. You are probably in Scotland. Enjoying the Blog. Keep up the good work!

    Grandpa J (Roch)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb!

    Beautiful pictures! Sounds like you're having a great time. Talk to you soon :)

    Jacqui Paikin

    ReplyDelete