Thursday, January 22, 2009

An Historic Error...of Judgement if Nothing Else

Ok, I need to rant. While this whole past week has left me with a sense of great hope for our nation, I feel we are making a vital mistake. Everywhere I turn, the same phrase screams at me and sends me into panicky convulsions.

"...an historic election..."
"...an historic day..."
"...an historic inauguration..."

AN historic? Really America? Who decided that would be a good idea?

The word "an", as we all know, is used as the indefinite article before a word that begins with a vowel, replacing the word "a". I am very appreciative of "an". It allows for fluidity in conversation at times that could otherwise be very sticky. For example, "A elephant went for a interesting walk in a arboretum while carrying a old watch and a umbrella," does not exactly roll off the tongue.

Of course, "an" has another use. Some tricky words begin with consonants but, A-HA, make vowel sounds. You can't fool me, "hour" and "honor" - I'll use "an" for you as well.

Now herein lies the problem. "Historic", while beginning with an h like many of those really-a-consonant-but-sounds-like-a-vowel words, is not pronounced "istory", and therefore should not require an "an".

Dictionary.com gives me this reasoning (emphasis my own):
"the form of a before an initial vowel sound (an arch; an honor) and sometimes, esp. in British English, before an initial unstressed syllable beginning with a silent or weakly pronounced h: an historian."

I forgive the British. They do actually say "istory". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never heard any American say "an historian". Nor have I ever heard any American say "an history book". WHY IN GOD'S NAME IS IT CORRECT TO SAY "AN HISTORIC"?

Maybe it's not correct. Maybe EVERY media outlet has gotten it wrong. I hope so. But if not, I call upon YOU, America. To quote Gandhi, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." My wish is for the phrase "an historic" to be eradicated from the American English vocabulary (the Brits can keep it). Join me in my quest and we can create a more perfect union.

YES WE CAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment